What is Google Shopping? Google shopping is a service provided by Google that allows users to search for specific products and find multiple buying options. These specific ads include pictures of the product, price, reviews, and more. For the user, it’s easy to compare specific products against others to see what they’re interested in buying.
Now comes the trickier part. Where do you start? How do you connect your products on your Shopify site to a Google Shopping campaign? You don’t want to spend countless hours entering in all the product information for each one of your products manually. Enter: Shopify’s Google Shopping App! Through this app, you can automatically connect your products to the Google Merchant Center.
First step: install the Google Shopping App. In your Shopify admin, click Apps. You will see a pop up that prompts you to install the app. From there, click Add Google Shopping. After you install the app, you’ll need to connect your Google account to your Google Merchant Center account. If you don’t already have a Google Merchant Center account, follow the setup instructions found here. Review the requirements during the set up to make sure that you meet all of those.
Next step: Sync your products by following these steps in the Shopify admin:
- Go to Apps > Google Shopping.
- Click Connect Google Account, select a Google account or create a new one. You will need to allow Shopify to access your Google account information.
- Review the setup requirements for your online store, and make any necessary changes.
- Go to Google Shopping > Settings.
- Select or create a Merchant Center account. You should have already created this with the step mentioned above. Choose the account you just set up.
- Select a target country where you want to sell your products. Your store’s currency settings determine the countries available for you to target.
- Select a language.
- Sync or set up your shipping rates.
- Set your product title and description preferences for products synced with Google.
- In the Product Title Preference section, choose “SEO product description”. This will allow Google to use the meta description for your products on Google Shopping.
- Click Complete Setup.
Once this is done, your products will automatically start to sync. The next step is to connect your Google Shopping App with your Google Ads account. This will allow you to create a Shopping campaign on Google.
Login to your Shopify admin
- From the Settings page in the Google Shopping app, click “Connect your Google Ads account”.
- If you already have a Google Ads account, then select it in the drop-down menu, and then click “Connect”. If you don’t have a Google Ads account that you want to connect, then click “Create Google Ads Account”. Read the terms of service, click the confirmation check box, then click “Accept Terms”. You will receive an invitation by email within 24 hours that you need to accept.
Now that you have your Google Shopping App set up, your products synced, and your Shopping App connects to Google Ads, you’re ready to create a shopping campaign. You have two options when it comes to a shopping campaign.
You can create a manual shopping campaign or a smart shopping campaign. Before you set your campaign live, make sure you have conversion tracking in place! It’s essential that you are able to track the transactions coming in from your campaigns.
Important Notice: A manual shopping campaign will allow you to make a variety of changes as the campaign runs. You can add and exclude products, edit bids, add negative keywords, etc. In a smart shopping campaign, the only changes you can make are to the daily budget and including/excluding products. You don’t have any control over bids because Google takes care of that for you.
Our recommendation is to use caution when setting up a smart shopping campaign. When you set up a smart shopping campaign Google’s algorithm will learn how your campaigns perform and will optimize the shopping campaign accordingly. If you can convert users that land on your site (or have good conversion data) and your data feed is well optimized then smart shopping is likely a good option.
If you decide to set up a smart shopping campaign then follow these steps:
- Login to Google Ads
- Navigate to “Campaigns”.
- Click “+” and then “+ new campaign” to add a campaign.
- Select the goal you have in mind. For shopping, it should be “sales”.
- Select a campaign type. In this case, you would select “Shopping”.
- If your Merchant Center is correctly linked to Google Ads, you should be able to select your account under “select the merchant center account with products to advertise in this campaign”.
- Select “smart shopping”.
- Click “continue”.
- Enter a campaign name and the desired daily budget.
- Click “save & continue”
- Then, you’ll be asked to create your first product group. You can choose to group-specific products together or keep all products together in one grouping.
- Upload your company logo. This should already have been done in the Merchant Center.
- Click “Save”.
What happens next is the most important part. You need to evaluate performance. It is crucial to leave this smart shopping campaign running for at least 2-4 weeks. You need to allow the campaign time to learn. If you run it for two days and notice there haven’t been any sales so you hurry and pause the campaign, you’re not allowing the campaign to learn how your website and campaigns perform.
Hopefully, this was helpful in connecting your Shopify site to your Google Ads shopping campaign. If you have any questions, leave a comment below! If you are in need of a Shopify marketing partner to help scale your digital marketing lets chat.]]>