Google Ads, previously known as Google AdWords, announced in a blog post they are streamlining the display campaign targeting process through a series of changes that will take effect September 2018. The most notable change from this “simplification” are new limitations on targeting and exclusion controls for Google Display Network ads. Advertisers will no longer be able to exclude mobile apps or mobile interstitial from display advertising campaigns. Here’s what Google has to say about the update: Starting in September 2018, Google is simplifying targeting and exclusion controls for Google Display Network ads on mobile devices in order to make it easier to reach the growing base of mobile users. As a result of these changes, you may see a significant increase in mobile apps or mobile web traffic (depending on your current settings).
The Google Ads impact and why does it matter?Before this update, marketers managing PPC could block their ads from appearing on most mobile apps. They could do this by excluding the domain googleadsenseformobileapps.com while customizing their add settings. The primary reason to exclude ads from mobile apps was to keep from spending add budget in ineffective areas (many paid search campaigns do not see positive ROI from mobile app ads). The update will prevent marketers from blocking apps or mobile interstitial from display targeting. The change includes “simplified device targeting,” giving marketers the choice between computer, mobile, or tablet. Once this update takes effect, anyone who wants to publish display ads on mobile will have to commit to publishing them through all mobile channels, including apps. Here’s what Google says about it: Device targeting will be consolidated to 3 device types: computer, mobile, and tablet. If you previously targeted by certain mobile categories, such as Mobile app, Mobile app interstitial, or Mobile web, all mobile placements will now be targeted. Similarly, if you previously targeted by Tablet app, Tablet app interstitial, or Tablet web, all tablet placements will now be targeted.
How to get ready for the Google Ads updateGoogle published instructions on how to prep your campaigns for the upcoming changes:
Step 1: Remove blanket exclusions from your campaignsIf you’ve added the “adsenseformobileapps.com” domain to your exclusions, remove it now. You can see your exclusions by clicking Placements > Exclusions.
Step 2: Update your device targetingUpdate your device targeting to reflect the new, simplified options. According to Google, you should follow these steps:
- Visit your campaign settings.
- Click Additional settings.
- Click Devices.
- Click Set specific targeting for devices.
- Select the device settings that apply to you:
– To target mobile traffic, check all of Mobile app, Mobile app interstitial and Mobile web. If you don’t want to target mobile traffic, uncheck all these options. (Starting in September 2018, these three mobile controls will be consolidated into a single “Mobile” control to opt into or out of mobile traffic.)
– To target tablet traffic, check all of Tablet app, Tablet app interstitial and Tablet web. If you don’t want to target tablet traffic, uncheck all these options. (Starting in September 2018, these three tablet controls will be consolidated into a single “Tablet” control to opt into or out of tablet traffic.)